Facts about St. Petersburg
Magnificent St. Petersburg is not without reason called the “Northern Capital”, and “Northern Venice”, while always emphasizing its geographical location. It was, is and remains the cultural center of Russia, in addition, for a long time Petersburg served as the capital of the Russian Empire. More foreign tourists come here annually than even to Moscow.
- In the past, it was called Petrograd and Leningrad.
- Contrary to popular belief, St. Petersburg was not named after its founder, Peter I, but in honor of its patron Saint Peter.
- The Hermitage holds about 3 million exhibits. To examine them all, spending only a minute for each, it will take about 8 years of continuous inspection.
- There are more trams than in any other city in the world. The total length of tram tracks exceeds 600 kilometers.
- In the USA, 15 cities are called St. Petersburg.
- Twin cities in St. Petersburg are on all continents. In addition to Antarctica, of course.
- There are 12 movable bridges in total and they are raised at specific times (usually at early night) and lowered in the early morning. These magnificent works of architecture are terribly inconvenient: after a certain hour, moving between the Petrograd and Central districts suddenly becomes complicated. So, if you’re up late visiting friends, you might as well stay over.
- The deepest metro in the world is in St. Petersburg. The city was built on a swampy area, so the subway tunnels had to be laid under the bedrock. The tunnels of the St. Petersburg metro lie at a depth of about 70-80 meters.
- The Peter & Paul Cathedral is the highest cathedral in Russia. The height of its bell tower is 122.5 meters. By the way, from 1733 to 2012, the cathedral was the tallest building in St. Petersburg and until 1952 it was the tallest in Russia.
- The length of the Neva River is only 74 km, but despite this, it flows through the territory a little less than the territory of Italy. The Neva delta includes such lakes as Ladoga, Onega, Saimaa, Ilmen, as well as the Svir, Volkhov and Vuoksa rivers. In the world there is only one similar water system - the Great Lakes in North America. The main river of St. Petersburg Neva carries more water than the Don and the Dnieper combined.
Saint Petersburg State University is a Russian federal state-owned higher education institution based in Saint Petersburg. It is considered to be the oldest and one of the largest universities in Russia. During the Soviet period, it was known as Leningrad State University. The university is Russia's oldest university, founded in 1724 by Peter the Great, which predates the foundation of Moscow State University in 1755.
There is a surprising and an important fact that the university has a reputation for having educated the majority of Russia's political elite, including presidents Vladimir Putin and Dmitry Medvedev, both of whom studied Law at the university. Saint Petersburg state university is included in all ratings and lists of the best universities in the world and is one of the leaders in all indicators in Russia.
It is made up of the Academic Gymnasium, the Medical College, the College of Physical culture and Sports, Economics and Technology. The university has two primary campuses: one on Vasilievsky Island and the other in Peterhof.
It has 24 faculties and institutes which are further subdivided into departments, and other main structural subdivisions, including the Sports Department, Rectorate, Gorky Scientific Library, Academic Gymnasium, publishing house, and clinic.
Saint Petersburg State University has produced a number of Nobel Prize winners.In international rankings, the university was ranked 240th in 2013/2014, by the QS World University Rankings, it was placed 351–400th by the Times Higher Education World University Rankings and 301–400th by the Academic Ranking of World Universities outperforming the rest of universities in Russia excluding Moscow State University.
The quantity of students is more than 32400 and the number of teachers is over 13000.
Prime Ministers Pyotr Stolypin and Dimitry Medvedev of Russia, the President and former Prime Minister of Russia Vladimir Putin, and the President of Lithuania Dalia Grybauskaitė are alumni, as is the mathematician Mikhail Gromov.
The quantity of international students is increasing year by year. The university is really proud of those persistent, ambitious international students who come to study hard with the purpose of realizing all their dreams in the future. Saint Petersburg University is the place where every single student is highly educated and respected. It is prestigious, beneficial and worth applying to.
SPbSU is made up of 24 specialized faculties, which are:
- Faculty of Applied Mathematics and Control Processes
- Faculty of Biology
- Institute of Chemistry
- Faculty of Dentistry and Medical Technology
- Faculty of Economics
- Institute of Earth Sciences
- Institute of History
- School of International Relations
- Faculty of Law
- Faculty of Liberal Arts and Sciences
- Faculty of Mathematics and Mechanics
- Faculty of Medicine
- Faculty of Oriental Studies
- Faculty of Arts
- Faculty of Philology
- Institute of Philosophy
- Faculty of Physics
- Faculty of Political Science
- Faculty of Psychology
- Faculty of Sociology
- Graduate School of Management
- Military Faculty
- School of Journalism and Mass Communications
- Faculty of Applied Communications
- Faculty of Journalism
There is also a Department of Physical Culture and Sports.
Fields of study:
- General Medicine
- Oil and gas business
- Political sciences
- Social work
- Graphic design
- Art history
- Physical education and sport
SPbSU - open university
The activities of the University are as open and transparent as possible. Anyone can get an appointment with the rector, ask a question in the Virtual Reception Office of Vice-Rectors, Deans, Heads of Services and get a quick and qualified answer. The occupation of the positions of professors, associate professors, teachers, assistants is carried out through an open competition. The most powerful candidates for positions receive the opportunity to work at the first university of Russia and resource support.
Currently SPbSU provides approximately 12,800 places in its halls of residence.
All accommodation is furnished for living and studying; the halls have laundry facilities, cafes, canteens, shops, gyms and fitness facilities, and ATMs. All rooms have Internet access.
Most of the rooms at the Dormitory are single, though there are several double ones. Each single room is equipped with:
- 1 bed
- 1 desk
- a wardrobe
- a toilet room with a shower
- bed linen and towels are provided and changed once a week
Kitchen and laundry room are located on each floor. Each kitchen is equipped with a microwave oven, an electric cooker, and a fridge. Basic utensils are provided.
Dormitories are located in 15 minutes’ walk from the university. There are some sports grounds, shops, gyms etc. for our students.
- General Medicine
Department of Biology
- Ecology and nature management
Faculty of Oriental Studies
- Orientalism and Africanism
Faculty of Arts
Faculty of Mathematics and Mechanics
Faculty of Medicine
Faculty of International Relations
Faculty of Political Science
Faculty of Applied Mathematics - Management Processes
Faculty of Liberal Arts and Sciences
Faculty of Sociology
Faculty of Physics
Faculty of Philology
Faculty of Economics
Faculty of Law