LIKE US ON fb 1  instagram ico youtube ico 2b2c37366d4df82002abd119a340383c tiktok PNG8

Study in Russia | Frequently asked question about Russia and Study in Russia | Russian Education Center | REC | Russian Education Centre


Submission of documents to the University in Russia.


I want to study at one of Russian universities. When and how should I apply?

Answer: You’ve made an important decision that will determine your future career and personal life!Applications for study on a foundation course are accepted from 1st March until 1st October.Applications for study on main courses (first and subsequent years) are accepted from 1st March until 15th August of each year for passport-holders of visa-free countries and from 1st March until 15th July for passport holders of countries requiring a visa. To get more detailed information on the specialties provided, as well as the contact information of the representative in your country, please, fill in the application form on-line.

IMPORTANT: Acceptance of applications is carried out in accordance with the quota of places provided by Russian state universities for foreign students. Thus, once you’ve made your choice of the university, we recommend you not to postpone the submission of your application. Places are limited!

More detailed information on the set of documents for submission to the state universities in Russia is available on the page “Required documents”.

I would like to study in English/French language. Is it possible?

Answer: Studies at Russian universities are carried out in the Russian language. In some specialties the training is also delivered in English (about 20 specialties) and French (general medicine, pharmacy). Candidates choosing the training in English or French must have an interview to check their language competency upon arrival. The results of international language tests (e.g., IELTS, TOEFL, CAE, DALF, TCF etc.) are not required. Irrespective of medium of instruction, a Russian language course is an integral and important part of the curriculum. Knowledge of the Russian language is essential for international students in Russia for everyday life, communication in and outside the university, and for comprehensive use of the millions of pieces of educational literature available throughout the whole period of study.

To get a specification of the possibility to study the chosen specialty in English or French medium don’t hesitate to send an inquiry to: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

What is “REC”? When was it founded? What benefits will I get if I enter Russian Universities through “REC”?

Answer: REC was founded in 1991 (it is registered in Belgorod) on the initiative and with the support of a group of Russian state universities.

Activities: Representing abroad, on the basis of outsourcing, the international departments of group of Russian state universities in several functions, including the holding of educational exhibitions, seminars and conferences; enrollment of international citizens wishing to study at Russian state universities; preparation and execution of joint educational projects run by Russian and international higher education establishments.

More detailed information about “REC” and services it offers to international students is available on the page “About REC”.

Entering Russian Universities through “REC”, you get the following benefits:  1. Wide range of universities and specialties according to your wishes and financial capability in different, by sizes and geographical locations, cities of European Russia. For sure, while choosing the university to study in, a lot of questions appear: “Is the city big?”, “Is it possible to study in the city where the climate is milder and warmer?”, “Is the material base and experience of the university serious enough for the professional training?”, “Where is it cheaper to study the chosen specialty?”, “Where is it possible to study in English/French medium?”  2. All foreign citizens who enter Russian universities through REC are enrolled to study on the basis of entrance assessments (interview, testing), but on a non-competitive basis and without entrance examinations.  3. “REC” supervises and provides students with any kind of help throughout their period of studies in the state universities of Russia (up to 7 years). It means that all your problems will be considered and you will get necessary assistance and support.

What kind of services does “REC” offer to foreign students? How much does it cost?

Answer: “REC” provides foreign students with all necessary information concerning their admission to the chosen university and further supervising, including consultations on the system of the Russian education; Evaluation/assessment of educational documents for their compliance with the requirements of admission to Russian state universities; Provides admission to the state universities in Russia; Processes the Invitation Letter for studies; Supports in issuance of Student visa at the Embassy/ Consulate General of Russia in your country; Meets students coming for studies at the state universities in Russia at the international airports of Moscow or Saint-Petersburg and transfers them; Provides with the accommodation in the student hostel (place in a room); Assists in getting text books for studies provided by the university libraries for free; Monitors the academic progress and student behavior; Informs parents on the student's progress and behavior upon their request; Supervises and assists students during their period of studies in Russian state universities (up to 7 years).

All services provided by REC to international citizens in Russia are FREE OF CHARGE, except student’s actual expenses for getting to Russia and admission for study at Russian state universities. All above-mentioned services and activities of REC (i.e., representing Russian state universities abroad and enrolling international citizens for studies) are sponsored by the group of Russian state universities on the basis of contractual relationships with REC.

More detailed information on services “REC” organization provides to foreign students is available on the page “About “REC”.

Where is “REC” central office and are there its representatives in my country?

Answer: “REC” central office is located in Belgorod, cultural capital of Russia, and obviously one of the most beautiful cities in the world! Today the organization has 5 departments and representative offices in 58 countries in Asia, Africa, the Middle East, South America, the Commonwealth of Independent States (some of former USSR countries) and Europe as well as branch offices in 10 cities in the European part of Russia. To get information on the representative in your country, feel free to contact us at: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or fill in the application form on-line.

Which status do universities, members of the “REC” group, have? Do they have a state license and accreditation?

Answer: All the universities, members of the"REC" group, have state status, state license and accreditation of the Ministry of Education and Science of the Russian Federation and/or the Ministry of Health and Social Development of the Russian Federation. They have modern material and technical base for the theoretical and practical training, highly qualified teaching personnel (on average 80% of professors hold Ph.D. degrees). The age of Universities is in average from 80 to 200 years or more, the average number of students – 10 000-15 000 people from over 200 countries. Thus, all the universities, members of the "REC" group, are prestigious, world-known universities, which are rightly associated with high quality, prestige, accessibility, and global recognition.

How long do I have to study to get a diploma? Will my diploma be recognized in my country?

Answer: Duration of studies depends on the exact specialty and program. Please, consider the Russian system of higher education carefully on the page “Education in Russia”, where the duration of training period on all possible specialties is provided.  Upon successful completion of university, graduates receive higher education degrees of the Russian national standard confirming the obtaining of higher education and indicating the degree/qualification (“Bachelor of Science”, “Master of Science”, “Specialist/Engineer-Specialist”) and specialty. Graduates also get an additional document upon request – a “European Appendix” that allows them to get equivalence of the degree in any of 47 European and other countries signed to the Lisbon Recognition Convention and Bologna declaration on the creation of a European Higher Education Area; this enables graduates to continue their education or find work in these countries. The recognition of Russian degrees all over the world is guaranteed in accordance with concluded intergovernmental and international agreements. At the present time all Russian state university degrees are recognized all over the world.

Do you offer Master degree programs?

Answer: Yes. In different Russian state universities, members of the “REC” group, the wide range of Master degree programs are available. The course duration is 2 years.  The foreign citizen can be admitted to the university for Master’s program if he/she has a “Bachelor’s degree” or a “Specialist’s degree” with the course duration not less than 4 years.

To get detailed information on the possibility to study on Master program by the chosen specialty, please, feel free to contact us at e-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Do you accept students who want to transfer from a foreign university?

Answer: Yes. Admission of foreign students who wish to transfer from foreign universities is possible on the basis of verification of educational programs and completion of the equivalence procedure (establishing recognition of the training period at a foreign university in the “Rosobrnadzor” of Russia).

To clarify the possibility of being transferred to one of the Russian universities, please, send to our e-mail:This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. the copy of academic transcript from your university with a list of subjects studied, including the number of hours and the marks. We need these documents to make a preliminary verification of educational programs and to determine the year of study and speciality you can apply for. The final decision about your transfer will be made after receiving the Certificate of equivalence from the “Rosobrnadzor” of Russia, where you can apply during the first year of study at the Foundation course.

How much does the tuition cost? Do you offer scholarships to foreign students?

Answer: The average cost of tuition ranges from 2,500 to 4,000 U.S. dollars depending on the university, specialty and medium of instruction. To get an exact cost of the chosen specialty, please, send an inquiry to: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it., indicating the specialty of interest. Based on the availability of seats for foreign students, we will offer you a choice of several universities in different cities of Russia. Tuition fees can also be found on the page "Universities" if you choose the University of your interest there.

What is important to know about getting scholarships to study in Russian universities?

1. Training of foreign citizens in the State universities of Russia is subsidized by the Government of Russia. Therefore, the average cost of tuition depending on the specialty, university, city and medium of instruction is 2500-4000 U.S. dollars for one academic year. Thus, the cost of education in Russian universities for foreign students to a greater extent is already subsidized by the Government of the Russian Federation. The student pays only a small part in addition to state subsidies.

2. Unfortunetely, Russian government do not provide foreign students with scholarships or sponsorships. However, you can address to the approppriate organizations in your country with an inquery for a scholarship. Please note that to obtain a government scholarship, the candidate must have higher secondary school certificate with a total passing score of at least 80%. It is important to note that the number of scholarships for popular specialties (e.g. medical) is very limited. All students who have higher secondary school certificates with a passing score, less than 80%, can be admitted only on a fee basis (to any specialty without restrictions).

3. As experience has shown, sponsorship can also be provided by foreign government (Ministry of Education in your country, state funds, etc.) and non-governmental (private foundations, firms interested in the training of qualified personnel, relatives, etc.) organizations. All required certificates and letters of admission to the chosen university in Russia for the sponsoring organizations of your country will be prepared by "REC" after considering the full set of documents. Consider carefully all possible options to realize your dream about getting high-quality and prestigious education in Russia!

How does the student pay for the education?

Answer: Payment for the 1st year of training is executed by bank transfer according to the invoice, which is sent to the student by “REC”. The payment should be made not later than 20 days before the student’s arrival to Russia. Receipt confirming payment for the academic year should be given by student to the Embassy/Consulate General of the Russian Federation when applying for the "student visa". Remember, that there might be a refuse in issue of "Invitation letter" or "Student visa" if payment is not made in full.

After the educational documents being examined, to confirm the possibility of admission "REC" sends to the student "admission letter" and "invoice" to be paid for the first year: 100% of tuition fee, accommodation in student hostel, life and health insurance, which must be paid as soon as possible. We recommend you not to delay the payment since a delay in the receipt of payment would imply your non-interest in the seat offered and the seat would be then offered to other applicant. The number of quotes is limited and offered strictly on a-first-come-first-served basis. It means, that if you send all necessary documents and pay in good time, it will guarantee your admission to the chosen university.

Payment for the subsequent years of education:  1. Tuition fees can be paid via bank transfer prior to the beginning of the academic year, i.e. before September, 1st every year. It’s necessary to send an inquiry of “invoice” to e-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. for that. Also the student may open a bank account in Russia with a help of “REC” manager. Parents (or sponsors) will transfer the tuition fees to this account. The student should withdraw the amount from his bank account, exchange foreign currency to the Russian Rubles (that is easily done in numerous foreign-exchange offices, if you show you ID) and make the payment to the cash department of “REC” or the University in the amount specified in the signed contract.  2. It’s allowed to pay the tuition and accommodation fee in installments: 70% of the tuition and accommodation fee for academic year – not later than 1st of September and the rest 30% of the tuition and accommodation fee in the second term – up to 1st of February. Life and health insurance fee is fully paid before the start of the academic year, before 1st of September each year. Non-compliance with the deadlines for payment of the tuition fees leads to the violation of rules of the registration and migration laws concerning the stay of foreign students on the territory of Russia. In this case the student could be expelled from the University and would have to leave the territory of Russia within 14 days.

Will I get a refund if I refuse to study in Russia?

Answer: All questions of money refund in case of student’s refusal to study are regulated in accordance with the Contracts concluded between: University and “REC”, “REC” and Student, University and Student and also Regulations, Standard Acts and rules of admission of international students to Russian state universities. Please familiarize with the following general rules:

1. If a student withdraws for any reason before coming to Russia and starting the course, 100% payment for tuition, accommodation and insurance is refundable. Registration fees and expenses for banking services and currency conversion charges are NOT refundable.

2. If a student withdraws after arrival to Russia, admission to the University and accommodation in student’s residence: a) The amount paid for Foundation course is NOT refundable; b) The amount paid for the main course (1-6 years) is refundable 30% of tuition and accommodation for academic year. Insurance fee, Registration charge and expenses for banking services and currency conversion charges are NOT refundable.

3. Money refund is to be proceeded only after student provides the Application of an established form which is provided by the “REC” central office. The refund can be done only via bank transfer to the account details provided by the Student. In any of the mentioned above cases a refund in cash on the territory of Russia is not permitted in accordance with applicable law.


II. Proceeding Documents.


What is life and health insurance?

Answer: Before the student's arrival in Russia, "REC" issues an insurance card in one of the Russian insurance companies. The insurance card provides a student with life and health insurance throughout Russia. Within three days after arrival in Russia, a student is given the original of the card. The insurance card guarantees that at the time of illness the student will receive necessary medical care, based on the program of insurance coverage. The card specifies contact phones of medical institutions, which a student should address. Moreover, the insurance company informs "REC" on those students who fell ill or sought medical advice, thus, "REC" is able to monitor and control the health of students, and to give the parents information on the health of their children. With no insurance card, migration registration of a student is impossible. Therefore, an insurance card is not just desirable, but obligatory for any foreign citizen arriving in the Russian Federation to study. Insurance card is issued for 1 year, its cost amounts from 160 USD to 250 USD. Insurance card is to be renewed annually.

What is the “invitation letter for study”?

Answer: The “invitation letter for study” – is an official document, that is issued at the Department of Federal Migration Service of the Russian Federation. It usually takes around 35 to 45 days to issue the official “Invitation Letter for Studies”. Invitation letter confirms the fact that a student can get admission to one of the universities in Russia. A student’s visa can be proceeded at the Embassy/General Consulate of the Russian Federation only if the original of the official ‘invitation letter for study” issued by the Department of Federal Migration Service of the Russian Federation is provided.  The invitation letter is valid for the period from 30 to 90 days from the date of issue, so to get a student visa and enter the territory of Russia, you should apply to the Embassy/Consulate General of Russia in due time. Remember: The student must enter Russia 15 days before the end of "Student visa" expiration date!

Should I get a “student visa” at the Russian Embassy?

Answer: Yes, you should. However, a number of countries (mainly countries of the Commonwealth of Independent States, i.e. the countries of the former Soviet Union) have intergovernmental agreements with Russia on a bilateral visa-free regime, according to which the issuance of student visa is not required. To clarify, if you need to get a student visa, please send us a request to the following e-mail:This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it., specifying your country of citizenship. At the same time, remember that for non-visa countries issuance of "confirmation of admission letter” from the University is required. “REC” will assist you in that after careful consideration of your complete set of documents.

What is legalization / apostille?

Answer: The term "legalization" means the process of giving legal effect to the educational document, if the holder of the documents intends to continue his studies abroad. Legalization means preparation of a set of educational documents required for use in a foreign country. Legalization is carried out in the country that issued the educational documents. Before coming to Russia for studies the student should prepare the following set of documents:

For candidates obtaining admission to the foundation course or the first year of studies: • Original of complete higher secondary education certificate (including mark sheet/academic transcript), that should be legalized/apostilled (i.e. stamped by the Ministry of External Affairs (or Ministry of Education) and the Embassy/General Consulate of the Russian Federation in the country where the student obtained the certificate);  • 2 copies of legalized/apostilled completed higher secondary education certificate (including mark sheet/academic transcript) notarized at the Embassy/ General Consulate of the Russian Federation and translated into Russian language; the translation should be certified by a notary from the Embassy/General Consulate of the Russian Federation in your country and attached to the copies. All pages of the copies should be numbered, stamped and officially sealed.

For candidates obtaining admission to the Master’s degree, Postgraduate course or PhD  • Original of higher education degree (including mark sheet/academic transcript for all academic years with subjects, marks and hours for each subject listed) that should be legalized/apostilled, (i.e. stamped by the Ministry of External Affairs (or Ministry of Education) and the Embassy/General Consulate of the Russian Federation in the country where the student obtained the certificate).  • 2 copies of legalized/ apostilled higher education degree (including mark sheet/academic transcript) notarized at the Embassy/ General Consulate of the Russian Federation and translated into Russian language; the translation should be certified by a notary from the Embassy/General Consulate of the Russian Federation in your country and attached to the copies. All pages of the copies should be numbered, stamped and officially sealed.

Thus, each legalized document should have 2 or more stamps:  1. Legalization stamp of the Ministry of External Affairs of the country that issued your educational documents  2. Legalization stamp of the Embassy/ General Consulate of the Russian Federation in the country that issued your educational documents

Important! If the country that issued the certificates of education, has signed the Hague Convention, only one seal – "Apostille" – is supposed to be put on the documents. In most cases this seal is put at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (or agency, authorized by the state) of the country where the student obtained the certificate of education. The student must specify on his/her own where in his/her country "Apostille" can be stamped. The representative of "REC" in your country will provide you with the needed help and advice concerning issuance and legalization of all necessary documents.

What is nostrification?

Answer: During the first academic year students must, at their own expense, hand all educational certificates/transcripts etc. to ROSOBRNADZOR RF for assessment in order to obtain the “certificate of equivalence”. Students should then present their “certificate of equivalence” to the university. REC will, free of charge, supply students with all necessary information to help them obtain the “certificate of equivalence”.

Do I have to present any health certificate?

Answer: Yes. To obtain "student visa" every foreign citizen must provide the Embassy/Consulate General of Russia with the health certificate and HIV/AIDS free certificate. On arrival in Russia these documents must be submitted to the University to get admission.

Attention! If a student has any of the diseases from a list which can be requested from the "REC" representative in your country, entrance to the territory of Russia is prohibited! The list of doctors and necessary health tests that must be done, can be received from the "REC" representative in your country either. After a visit to all the necessary doctors student must receive a health certificate and the results of all tests (Be sure to get AIDS test and chest X-ray).

IMPORTANT: On arrival in Russia the universities reserve the right to redirect students to a medical examination.

What is the "migration card"?

Answer: The migration card is an official document that confirms that the student crossed the Russian border. It is important and necessary for the following registration process. Without migration card registration on the territory of Russia is impossible, the student will be deported back to his/her country. The migration card is usually given by a flight attendant on board of the plane. It can also be obtained from the immigration service on arrival at the airport. The migration card consists of two identical parts that need to be filled in. At the airport at the passport check-point immigration officer stamps the entry sign on two halves, he keeps one half and returns another one to a student. Before leaving the passport check-point the student should make sure that his/her piece of the migration card is stamped. The migration card must be kept in safely and the student should always carry it (together with the passport) until the end of stay in Russia.


III. Entry to Russia


How to get to Russia?

Answer: Students from countries that border Russia may organize their trip by train. However, most students use the airplane to get to Russia. The "REC" representative in your country organizes groups of students, assists in booking tickets, and ensures your departure to Russia with the group of other students from your country.

When does the training start? When should I arrive?

Answer: Training at the Foundation course and the 1st year course taught in English / French medium starts since September 20th (subject to there being enough students to start a group). We recommend you to arrive not later than November 1st.

Classes at following courses (1st year course and the following years) start on September 1st. Students should arrive at the University during the period from 25th to 31st August.

When and whom I shall inform about my arrival?

Answer: “REC” Central Office in Belgorod must be informed on the flight details (flight number, date and time of arrival, city of arrival and name of airport) five working days prior to your arrival. Thus, the departure of students is strongly recommended to be organized in groups under the guidance of the «REC» representative in your country.

Who will meet me at the airport and organize my transfer to the University?

Answer: All students are met personally at international airports by REC employees, who hold REC nameplates and have the special power of attorney from the university, which gives them the right to meet foreign students coming to Russia for study. The power of attorney is handed to border agency officers at the airport two hours prior to arrival of the plane. According to the official rules and regulations of the Russian Federal Migration Service, a student can be refused entry to the Russian Federation if he/she is not met by an official from the university or a person who has power of attorney from the university

What clothes should I take with me?

Answer: Students usually arrive in Russia in autumn (An average temperature is +10C). Students who arrive in the end of October – November, should take warm clothes with them – warm jackets, scarves, gloves, warm shoes. In the end of November the temperature is about – 5C. Anyway, in every city in Russia you can easily buy clothes of all possible brands, so it’s recommended to buy warm clothes on arrival in Russia. “REC” managers will be glad to help you with choosing the relevant clothes taking into account the weather conditions.

How much luggage can I take with me?

Answer: It is undesirable that students arrive with luggage weighing more than 30-40 kg. Many students prefer to carry all housewares to Russia. Others are trying to help parents, whose children have already been studying in Russia, by bringing parcels. However, do not forget that if you have extremely heavy luggage with you it’s likely that you’ll need to call for a porter at your expense on arrival. Most students arrive at Moscow's international airport, and then proceed to the selected university in another city in Russia by train or plane. You will have to pay for excess luggage weight (about 4 Euro per 1 kg), as on most domestic airlines in Russia it’s allowed to carry only 20 kilograms of luggage for free. It is important to take the most necessary things with you, while other products and things can be bought in Russia on arrival. Students will get the appropriate assistance by "REC" representatives in every city. It is not worth troubling about that, as there is a wide range of all possible products at different prices in stores.

How much money should I take with me?

Answer: First of all, on arrival at the international airport, students should have some cash in the foreign currency (U.S. dollar or Euro) to pay for individual meeting (if applicable) and purchasing air or train tickets to travel to the city of training. Exchange of national currencies in Russia is impossible! The cost of air or train tickets to travel to the city of training is paid by the student on arrival in Russia (from 50 to 250 U.S. dollars).

IMPORTANT: Valuables – money and documents – are strongly recommended not to be checked-in, they must be carried in hand luggage only. Make sure that nothing is lost! Usually expenses during the first month of stay in Russia are higher than during the following months. During the first month the students may need about $ 500, as they will need to buy necessities (warm clothes, dishes, appliances, etc.), pay registration fees, etc. Further expenses per month on food will be from 200 to 250 U.S. dollars on the average depending on the city of training.


IV. During studies.


What is the Foundation course and what for do I need it?

Answer: Choosing to study in Russian, he/she spends the first year on a foundation course, where for 7-10 months he/she studies Russian language and other major subjects of the future specialty: medical & biological stream – chemistry and biology; economic and engineering stream – math, physics and information technology; humanities stream – history, social science, literature etc. The university may include other subjects in the curriculum of the foundation course.  Irrespective of medium of instruction, a Russian language course is an integral and important part of the curriculum. Knowledge of Russian language is essential for international students in Russia for everyday life, communication in and outside the university, and for comprehensive use of the millions of pieces of educational literature available throughout the whole period of study.

Is it difficult to study at the foundation course?

Answer: The program of the foundation course is designed to be of the average level of complexity. Students attending classes, doing their homework properly, do not face any problems in education. In practice, more than 95% of students successfully complete the foundation course and proceed to the program of basic studies (1st year) according to the chosen specialty. Russian language is not difficult – one academic year is enough to learn the language to a level sufficient for admission to the 1st year of basic studies. However, students who do not cope with the teaching load and can not pass the final exam, have the opportunity to repeat training at the foundation course in the same or another university. It’s recommended for all students to arrive to the foundation course in the end of September – October for a successful mastering of a program.

What is the registration?

Answer: Registration gives foreign student a legal right to stay on the territory of Russia for the period of registration. Usually the period of registration is one year. Registration should be renewed annually 2-3 weeks before its termination via Passport and visa service of the University.  Upon arrival at the university, the student should submit the required documents to process the registration within 3 days after arrival. The duration of the registration processing is 10-15 days. The original of the student’s passport is taken by the Federal Migration Service Office. The record of registration is put on the migration card. The address of the student’s hostel where the student lives is noted there. The registration and the visa require that the passport is valid for a minimum period of 2 years. It is recommended to renew the passport before traveling to Russia for the full period of study. The cost of the state fee for migration registration is 1,000 rubles (about $ 35) and paid by the student through the bank.

When do vacations begin in the Universities of Russia?

Answer: The program of the foundation course is not divided into semesters. Vacations for students of the foundation course are not provided. For the students of basic studies (from 1 to 6 courses) academic year lasts for 10 months (September 1 – June 30). The academic year is divided into two semesters: First semester: September 1 – January 25; Second semester: February 9 – June 30. At the end of each semester (January and June), students pass tests and exams. Between semesters students are provided with holidays: Winter vacation (2 weeks: from 25 January to 9 February), summer vacations (2 months from July 1 to August 30). During winter and summer vacations students can either go home or stay in Russia.

Is it possible to work during study in Russia?

Answer: Russian education is generally considered to be one of the most qualitative and fundamental in the world. Much attention is paid both to basic theoretical knowledge and extensive practical skills. It allows students to find a well-paid job and start climbing the career ladder right after the graduation. Students of Russian Universities are obliged to visit all the classes because only knowledge received during the classes allows the students to become qualified professionals.

According to the rules currently in force in Russia, every foreign citizen has the right to be engaged in labor activities in Russia only having a work permit. In accordance with the Federal Law "Legal Status of Foreign Citizens in the Russian Federation", an international student has the right to work without a work permit in the following cases:  - doing work (service) during the vacation;  - during their free time as a teaching and support staff in the educational institutions where they study.

So, if you plan to work not in the university and not just on vacation, you will need to obtain a work permit. Details of obtaining the work permit and documents required for it are available at the Federal Migration Service of Russia. Work should not interfere with student learning, as being absent at the lessons may lead to expulsion from the university for poor academic performance.

During the first two years we would not recommend you to combine work and study. Firstly you need to get accustomed to the new country and learn Russian language. Work offered to foreign students is usually temporary, unskilled, and low-paid: in restaurants, cafes, hotels, department stores, childrens’ summer camps, etc. Such income should be considered by a foreign student, just as a way to earn some pocket money, the ability to improve the knowledge of Russian language, culture and traditions, but certainly not as means to pay for tuition and accommodation at the university, as well as health insurance.

Currently, the State Duma of Russia, is considering a draft of a new law that extends the opportunity for foreign students to work during their studies.

Will my parents be informed about my progress and behavior?

Answer: "REC" constantly supervises students and monitors their process of training, getting information about their academic performance and behavior in the university. This information is available on request of the representative of "REC" in the country where a student arrived from, or his parents. We look forward to inquiries and correspondence with parents for their positive impact on students’ their motivation to increase knowledge. Parents and representatives are welcome to contact us by e-mail:This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

How can I contact my parents when I come to Russia?

Answer: Upon arrival in Russia manager of "REC" will supervise all matters concerning you, will help you, for example, to buy a phone card for you to be able to make an international call to your parents. Also, immediately after your arrival in Russia, "REC" will inform the representative of our organization in your country, who in his/her turn will inform the parents about your safe arrival to Russia, etc.

If I study at one of Russian universities and want to change the university of studies, do I need a new visa?

Answer: When transferring from one Russian university to another, according to the Russian Federation legislation the new "invitation letter" and "student visa" are required from your new university. In this case it’s obligatory to make a trip to your homeland. Transfer from one university to another is easily accomplished with the help of "REC". The main thing – send us an application for transfer not later than mid-June by e-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. We will help you to choose the university, the city of studies and help with processing all necessary documents. Remember, you must arrive to the new university on 25-30th August, meaning before 1st September, which is the official beginning of the academic year!

After receiving an exit visa, when am I expected to leave Russia?

Answer: After being expelled from the university for any reason (low academic performance, successful graduation, etc.) and having obtained the exit visa, the student is obliged to leave Russia within 14 days. In case of a delayed departure, strict measures – penal sanctions, arrest, holding in custody, deportation are applied in accordance with the legislation of Russia. The decision on deportation is taken by a special court. During the whole period of studies the student is supposed to have cash to be able to buy a ticket or the ticket itself with an open date of departure. In case of deportation the entrance to Russia is forbidden for the subsequent 5 years. We strictly recommend students to observe the requirements of the immigration services. If you have any questions concerning this matter, please, contact the “REC” office for a piece advice which is given for free. We will be glad to help you!

Are foreign students provided with the hostel?

Answer: Yes. All foreign students studying in the universities of Russia through the "REC" organization are provided with a place in 2-3-bed room in the student hostel. Rooms meet the sanitary standards established in Russia, are equipped with necessary furniture (desk, chair, bed, bedside table) and provided with bedding. Necessary accessories for personal use (dishes, kettle, fridge, TV, computer, etc.), students must purchase at their own expense. In winter, all the rooms in the student hostel and the university are heated, the average temperature is + 20-25C. On each floor or in each block (depending on the type of hostel) there are toilets and showers with hot and cold water supply. Almost every student hostel has or is located close to cafes, gyms, classrooms, laundry facilities, telephones for long distance communication, medical rooms, Internet centers. Unlike many other European countries, Russian hostels have a kitchen on each floor, where you can prepare food according to your taste. All the hostels must be kept in order and cleanliness. The interests of neighbors should be considered and respected. At night, the silence must be observed. Whatever the origin, citizenship, nationality, status and wealth of a student is, students live as one big multicultural family. In the hostels students are responsible for the cleanliness and order in their rooms. The cleanliness of the common areas (hallways, kitchens, showers and toilets) is supervised by a cleaner – hostel employee. During the whole period of studies the student bears full responsibility for the property given to him by the university. The average cost of living in a hostel, depending on the city, university and hostel type ranges from 35 to 70 dollars per month.

What is the food like in Russia?

Answer: All Russian student hostels have a kitchen on each floor, where you can prepare food according to your taste. There is a good tradition in hostels to invite classmates and friends for a dinner of your national cuisine: European, Asian, Arab, African, Latin American. A wide range of products from around the world, presented in Russian stores, allows a foreigner to stick to his/her national meals, which he/she was accustomed to at home. Before coming to Russia, it would be useful for a student to learn how to cook, to be able to use the skills for personal needs as well as to treat your friends and neighbours during the National culture days, organized by universities. Average food expenses for students are $ 250 per month. The student may also attend cheap student cafes, the average cost of a fixed student meal (soup, main dish, salad, tea) is about 3-5 U.S. dollars. To learn more about Russia, you are welcome to visit the page “About Russia” on our web-site.

What’s the weather like in Russia?

Answer: A moderately continental climate is prevalent in all parts of the country. All four seasons – summer, autumn, winter and spring – are easily distinguished. Each season lasts for approximately three months, making the climate comfortable for the country’s inhabitants.The average temperature in summer is +25C. It becomes colder in autumn – from +10 C to +15 C. In winter the temperature is from – 15 C to +5 C. It becomes warmer in spring – from +10C to +15C. As Russia stretches across a vast area from south to north and from west to east, the climate varies in different parts of the country. To learn more about Russia, please, visit the page “About Russia” on our web-site.

How are foreign students secured in Russia?

Answer: In Russia, the protection of public safety is performed by the state enforcement service – the police, which ensures the safety of Russian and foreign citizens residing in the country. Particular attention is paid to the safety of foreign students. All the buildings of educational institutions and student hostels are protected twenty-four-hour by security department of the university, or by specially hired staff of professional security companies. In all university buildings and student hostels there is an access control system. In university campuses all students have a special student pass, which they receive on admission to the university. Generally, access to the hostel is open from 6.00 a.m. to 23.00 p.m. Access to the hostel for guests is open from 16.00 p.m. to 21.00 p.m. on presentation of identity documents. Access to hostels is prohibited from 23.00 p.m. to 6.00 a.m. Being on the territory of Russia, foreign citizens are obliged to carry the passport and migration card with you. The student must obey the laws, respect the customs and traditions of Russia and follow basic rules of personal safety, as in any other country in the world. Foreign citizens as well as the citizens of Russia bear administrative and criminal responsibility for crimes committed on the territory of Russia. Senior officials of universities organize meetings with newly arrived foreign students to explain the basic rules of stay, behavior, residence and security maintenance in Russia. To learn more about Russia, please, visit the page “About Russia” on our web-site.


+1 # ScholarshipRoland badu 2017-10-13 00:27
Please need scholarships in your institution ,please I applying by ucas and receive an admission but no fund
-3 # DrAban Usmani 2017-11-10 17:56
Dear Sir
My son a US citizen has completed his American High School Diploma from American International School, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia as I having been living and working in Saudi Arabia for the last many years being a doctor from Pakistan.

I have come to know very highly of your education system as I was reviewing options for my son’s study. I don’t want him to go into the US system where he will need to do 4 years of Science graduation and then apply for MCAT before going into 4 year Medical college taking the education duration to 10+ years after 12 years of high school.

I would be grateful if you could please advise about the admission process and chances that my son could avail in Russian Medical Universities and how could we move.
-1 # ScholarshipUsama bin javaid 2017-12-19 16:57
How can i get scholarship in russia for futher study
0 # Admission requirementsOnesmus Anghuwo 2018-09-04 22:21
Good day
what are the requirements needed for one to be admitted to Russian Universities and the documents to be uploaded?
0 # FoodFereshte 2018-09-14 22:04
Should i pay for breakfast,lunch and dinner in dormitory or hostle during my study ??
0 # RE: FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONSOla 2018-10-25 11:24
Does it take SAT OR GPA or both ? If yes then what scores & what marks should I bring to be accepted there?
Pls,the amount of money required to study in russia is much for my parents to afford and i really want to study medicine in russia.pls how can i apply for a scholarship? and would it require that i take any exam for the scholarship?
+2 # MissMiss Nethengwe 2018-12-19 12:49
I am from South Africa and I am studying Bachelor of Science in Molecular and Life Sciences
I am about to complete my 4years degree at the University of Limpopo and I would like to branch into medicine and study it in Russia.
Are there any possibilities of me being credited there?
0 # ScholarshipAdanna 2019-01-07 23:10
Want of if I don't have money to do my visa and flight ticket can't Russia government help me

Add comment



(works 24 hours, without holidays)

Direct calls only: +7-499-403-11-18
(working hours: 9 a.m. till 6 p.m.
 working days only)





(works 24 hours, without holidays)

Tel./Fax.: +7-472-2777167
(working hours: 9 a.m. till 6 p.m.
 working days only)

      in   tiktok PNG8

Scroll to top