Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology is a leading Russian university that trains students in various fields of modern science and technology.
MIPT was set up on September 17, 1951 by Resolution#3517-1635 of the Soviet Cabinet of Ministers on the basis of the Department of Physics and Technology at the Lomonosov Moscow State University. The department started working on November 25, 1946. On October 1, 1951, the resolution was approvedby executive order of the Soviet Education Ministry. On November 2, 2009, MIPT was granted the status of National Research University by the Russian government.
MIPT has a very rich history. Its founders included academicians Pyotr Kapitsa, Nikolay Semenov and Sergey Khristianovich. Its first professors were Nobel Prize winners Kapitsa, Semenov and Lev Landau, and its first rector was Ivan Petrov. There are Nobel Prize winners among MIPT’s graduates as well. Many MIPT professors are leading Russian scientists, including over 80 members of the Russian Academy of Sciences.
From the outset, MIPT has used a unique system for training specialists, known as the Phystech System, which combines fundamental science, engineering disciplines and student research.
With a history rich in major events and longstanding traditions, MIPT pays well-deserved attention to its symbols. MIPT has an original emblem, which embodies its devotion to science.
Every 5 years MIPT marks two anniversaries, celebrating the creation of the Department of Physics and Technology at Moscow State University on November 25, 1946 and the creation of Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology, which took place five years later.
- Department of Radio Engineering and Cybernetics
Since 1952 we have concentrated on studies in electrical engineering and cybertechnology. Our students combine fundamental studies with research activities related to contemporary issues in the fields of wireless systems, solid-state devices, control theory, learning systems, signal processing, parallel and distributed computing, fault-tolerant computing, and computer vision.
- Department of General and Applied Physics
Here is one of the best places to get involved in the most wonderful and most complicated areas of knowledge. We train our students to push the boundaries of human understanding of space and time, of matter and energy from the nuclear to the cosmological. We offer the exploration of a universal nature to those who dare to know.
- Department of Aerophysics and Space Research
The training program of the Department focuses on a practical approach to opportunities offered by the space industry and includes aerospace engineering, space science and space technology. Our research focuses on biosystems engineering, earth remote sensing, and natural resource exploration. Alumni include astronauts, policy-makers, high-ranking officer and researchers who work on the cutting edge of earth and space sciences in the most respected research centers and companies both in Russian and abroad.
- Department of Molecular and Chemical Physics
Combining MIPT’s traditional program in pure physics and mathematics with deep studies in chemistry, the Department fosters unique specialists who conduct research in chemical dynamics and reaction mechanisms, materials and plasma chemistry as well as the physics of living systems. Our community comprises people who investigate radiochemistry and conduct experiments using laser technology.
- Department of Physical and Quantum Electronics
Converging rigorous pure sciences with the power of our industry-academic partnerships, the Department provides training programs for students who wish to become outstanding researchers in the field of electronics. We explore new materials and create new methods in solid state electronic devices as well as in laser and optics systems providing sharpened efficiency for contemporary solutions in telecommunications, control systems, supercomputers and the aerospace industry. We dare to change the world..
- Department of Aeromechanics and Flight Engineering
The Department prepares students for professional positions in the aerospace industry, government, and business by offering an intensive curriculum merged with cutting-edge research at Russia’s renowned Aviaindustry Cluster. Our program focuses on aeromechanics, control, propulsion and engineering problems of aircraft. The department is located in the city of Zhukovsky, Moscow Region.
- Department of Control and Applied Mathematics
The Department provides training at the bachelor’s and master’s level in applied mathematics. Education programs are focused on mathematical modeling in fundamental and applied physics, mechanics and economics. We offer unique courses in supercomputing, artificial intelligence, system analysis and software engineering. .
- Department of Problems of Physics and Energetics
The Department focuses on producing scientists trained to face a broad range of challenges caused by the rapid growth of human civilization in the 21st century. We offer programs related to quantum optics, extreme states of matter, nuclear physics, astrophysics and cosmology, fundamental interactions and plasma energetics. We endeavor to conduct experiments beyond the limits of present-day science and we are proud of our graduates, who are involved in investigating the most spectacular phenomena of the universe.
- Department of Innovation and High Technology
Computers and information technologies have become indispensable to modern life. The Department prepare our students to give rise to new innovations, to be eager in studying computer science, to explore the cyber-universe and to implement their ideas in the real world with the help of our industry-academic partnerships with the world's largest software companies and high-tech corporations.
- Department of Biological and Medical Physics
Thanks to MIPT’s unique teaching style and structure the Department is merging medicine, biology and chemistry with fundamental physics and mathematics in order to create new methods for the medical industry and technologies for pharmaceutical production. Our alumni include entrepreneurs, educators and researchers pushing the boundaries of life sciences.
- Department of Nano-, Bio-, Information Technology and Cognitive Science
Converging nanotechnology, biotechnology, information technology and cognitive science into a holistic art of cognition, we have acquired a new instrument for understanding our world and making it a better place. The NBIC department was established in the close cooperation with the renowned NRC “Kurchatov Institute”, which has been a hub of cutting-edge science since the Soviet era. The department is located in Moscow.
- Department of Higher School of Systems Engineering
is an interfaculty department conducting training for master’s students in 222300, "High Technology and Economics of Innovation." The main objective of the program is the training of leaders in technological fields.
The formation of a researcher, pedagogue, or a graduate student head is a natural and necessary step. Around 25% of MIPT graduates enter graduate school every year. Moreover, a sizeable number enter graduate base organizations.
This post-university step in education is somewhat of a repeat of study at Fiztech, only on a different scale. The first year is fundamental instruction. Graduate students attend lectures on philosophy, foreign language, psychology, pedagogy, economics, and patenting.
The first stages of crown candidate examinations are in philosophy and English, other subjects are taken as regular exams or tests.
The second year is dedicated to specific education. At this time, graduate students combine work on review of literature for the chosen thesis topic, research and preparation for the master's examination in the specialty - the most difficult exam for all nine years of study at Fiztech.
The third year of graduate study ends with a presentation of work performed in front of a specialized council for a Candidate degree.
Laboratories and Research Centers:
- Interdisciplinary Center for Basic Research
- Bioanalytics Laboratory
- Bioinformatics Laboratory
- Biomedical Engineering Laboratory
- Laboratory of Wave Processes and Controlling Systems
- Laboratory of Genetics of Aging and Longevity
- Laboratory of Design of Dosage Forms
- Laboratory of Pulsed Plasma Systems
- Laboratory of Information Technologies in Sports
- Laboratory of High-Resolution Infrared Spectroscopy of Planetary Atmospheres
- Laboratory of Ionic and Molecular Physics
- Laboratory of Artificial Quantum Systems
- Laboratory of Quantum Nanostructures
- Laboratory of Materials Computer Design
- Laboratory of Mathematical Modeling of Nonlinear Processes in Gaseous Media
- Laboratory of Molecular Genetics
- Laboratory of Modeling and Design of Special Computer Systems Architecture
- Laboratory of Scientific and Technical Analysis and Forecasting
- Laboratory of Nanooptics and Plasmonics
- Laboratory for Advanced Studies of Membrane Proteins
- Laboratory of Applied Terahertz Technologies
- Laboratory of Applied Computational Geophysics
- Laboratory for the Development of Innovative Drugs
- Laboratory of Brain Stem Cells
- Laboratory of Structural Methods of Data Analysis in Predictive Modeling
- Laboratory of Structural Biology of G-protein Coupled Receptors
- Laboratory of Theoretical Nanophysics
- Laboratory of Terahertz Spectroscopy
- Laboratory of Topological Quantum Phenomena in Superconducting Systems
- Laboratory of Cellular and Molecular Technologies
- Laboratory of Translational Research and Personalized Medicine
- Laboratory of Quantum Information Theory
- Laboratory of Radio Engineering
- Laboratory of Physical Methods in Biology and Biotechnology
- Laboratory of Physical Mechanics
- Laboratory of High Energy Physics
- Laboratory of Chemical Synthesis and Catalysis
- Laboratory of Chemical and Pharmaceutical Analysis
- Laboratory of Experimental Economics
- Laboratory of Experimental Methods in Physics
- Laboratory of Electrophysiology
- Laboratory of Fluid Dynamics and Seismics
- Laboratory of the Biophysics of Excitable Systems
- Laboratory of Functional Materials and Devices for Nanoelectronics
- Laboratory of Fundamental Interactions
- Center for Digital Technologies
- Laboratory of 2d Materials' Optoelectronics
- Educational Laboratory
- Scientific Library
- Sports Complex
- Internet Class